Black Swamp Conservancy is an accredited land trust serving northwest Ohio and the Western Lake Erie Basin. The Conservancy is seeking to hire a Land Steward to join a staff of five in protecting the region’s natural communities and family farms.
Reporting to the Conservation Manager, and in collaboration with the entire Conservancy team and its community partners, the Land Steward leads Black Swamp Conservancy’s preserve management activities.
This is a field-based position responsible for:
- Caring for the ecological health of our nature preserves, including invasive species control
- Leading property maintenance work, including for public use infrastructure
The Land Steward will both work independently and oversee a small, seasonally contracted field crew. This person will also develop property management plans, and apply for and administer grants for land management activities. In addition, the Land Steward will assist other full-time staff in conservation easement monitoring and oversight of large-scale ecological restoration projects.
The Land Steward’s duties and responsibilities will extend to all aspects of accomplishing the Conservancy’s mission, including:
- Overseeing and carrying out stewardship activities on Conservancy-owned and managed lands, including non-native species control, habitat restoration efforts, fence building and repair, management of facilities and other infrastructure, equipment and vehicle maintenance, sign and trail maintenance, and other management activities.
- Creating and implementing and/or updating stewardship and land management plans for select properties or landscapes.
- Completing annual compliance monitoring for the Conservancy’s fee title ownership properties.
- Assisting with monitoring of conservation easements.
This position involves working in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances. It requires frequent travel within northwest Ohio and may require working evening and weekend hours. The Steward will often operate outdoor tools and equipment, and daily activities may result in considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain. These activities may require long hours in isolated settings under infrequent supervision. Occasionally, the Land Steward may need to interact with the public at preserves and restoration sites.
- At least two years of fieldwork experience, preferably with a land trust, park district, or similar conservation organization.
- Experience assessing and managing natural habitats, in northwest Ohio or the Great Lakes Region including knowledge of northwest Ohio flora and fauna.
- Experience navigating outdoors with maps and GPS.
- Ability to take direction, problem solve and report back to direct supervisor.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g., Commercial Pesticide Applicator License).
- Available to work before and after normal business hours and on the weekends, as necessary. (This position generally works four 10-hour days during the field season.)
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Must have or obtain CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resource management, restoration ecology, biology or a closely related field.
- Ability to operate, maintain and repair various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g., ATV, chainsaw, backpack sprayer, and other tools).
- Experience and comfort in driving large, non-CDL trucks as well as properly and safely hauling trailers up to 22’ in length while laden with materials and equipment.
- Experience driving, mowing/cutting and maintaining farm equipment such as tractors. (The Conservancy owns a John Deere 2025R tractor and related implements.)
- Experience managing staff and/or volunteers, especially outdoor crews.
- Experience drafting and implementing property management plans.
- Experience creating baseline documentation reports.
- Experience with conservation easement monitoring.
More than anything, Black Swamp Conservancy is looking for …
A highly motivated, creative, organized, and detail-oriented self-starter with a passion to serve our land conservation mission. The Land Steward must have strong diplomatic skills and the ability to work both independently and with a team.
Black Swamp Conservancy’s office is dog-friendly and located on a protected property south of Perrysburg, Ohio, surrounded by woodlands and prairie. The Conservancy offers a competitive compensation package including health insurance and retirement match. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please respond by submitting a resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and writing sample (in Word or PDF format) by March 3rd to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
About Black Swamp Conservancy
Black Swamp Conservancy is an accredited land trust serving northwest Ohio and the Western Lake Erie Basin. The organization currently protects more than 150 properties covering more than 21,000 acres and representing some of our region’s finest family farms, wetlands, woodlands, and other open spaces. Of this, the Conservancy owns ten nature preserves covering 1,200 acres in seven counties.