Black Swamp Conservancy seeks four seasonal Stewardship Interns to carry out the Conservancy’s stewardship vision at our Nature Preserves. The selected interns will be highly motivated and organized students or recent grads, eager to work outdoors on habitat restoration.
These positions are Field Work only. If weather prohibits field work, work hours are not guaranteed.
- Up to 40 hours a week – May 16 to August 26
- Interns schedule is 4 days a week, 10 hours a day, including travel time to each work site.
Projects the Interns will assist with include:
- Invasive Plant Management, using mechanical methods (cut, pull, etc) and herbicides.
- Native habitat restoration – planting trees, plants or seeds, and caring for trees and shrubs
- Basic Preserve maintenance – trash and litter, parking lot and trail maintenance, install signs.
- Preserve Monitoring – invasive and native plant species scouting and mapping, water quality monitoring, wildlife surveys
- Other duties as assigned.
Interns will work as part of the Conservancy’s Stewardship Crew, under the direction of the Land Steward and Stewardship Crew Leader. Each day, the crew will travel from our headquarters in Pemberville to our Preserves, many of which are over an hour each way. Applicants must be willing to work in challenging conditions including rain, heat, humidity, and muddy fields.
Interns will gain skills in Land Management, native plant community identification and monitoring, invasive plant identification and Best Management Practices, Integrated Pest Management, small engine and tractor use and maintenance, and more.
- Invasive species identification and management
- Working with hand tools
- Collecting water samples and taking water quality measurements
- Using GPS units to mark field locations
- Curiosity and a love of outdoors
Ability to work as a team to accomplish tasks
- Availability to work flexible hours including the occasional Saturday
- Valid Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record
- Tolerate extreme temperatures (especially heat) for 6-10 hours per day
- Comply with requirements for protective clothing
- Work in an outdoor environment, including tolerance for exposure to insects and thorns
- Repetitively lift and carry items up to 30 lbs
- Stand, sit, bend, kneel, stretch and squat for long periods of time while using best practices to maintain strong, long term personal health
- $14 an hour, as contract positions (no employee benefits or withholding)
Email your resume and cover letter to Freya Berntson [email protected]. Positions open until filled. Interviews will begin around April 13, so apply now!
About Black Swamp Conservancy
Black Swamp Conservancy is a land trust dedicated to protecting natural areas and family farms, now and for future generations. We do this to preserve the heritage, habitats, and waters of northwest Ohio. The Conservancy protects over 21,000 acres and owns ten Nature Preserves in six counties.