We’re Hiring: Farmland Preservation Associate
Black Swamp Conservancy is seeking to hire a Farmland Preservation Associate to join our staff in protecting the region’s natural communities and family farms.
Please respond by submitting a resume, cover letter with salary requirements and writing sample, in Word or PDF format by Noon on February 10th to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
About The Conservancy
Black Swamp Conservancy is an accredited land trust serving northwest Ohio and the Western Lake Erie Basin.
The Conservancy currently protects more than 140 properties covering more than 19,000 acres and representing some of our region’s finest family farms, wetlands, woodlands and other open spaces. We have many active projects in process including regenerative agriculture and large-scale stream and wetland restoration.
Reporting to the Executive Director and in collaboration with the entire Conservancy team and its community partners, the Farmland Preservation Associate (Associate) joins Black Swamp Conservancy’s land protection and stewardship team.
The Associate will primarily be responsible for managing the Conservancy’s Food & Farm Initiative, which seeks to provide affordable land access to new and beginning farmers who are committed to sustainable farming. This includes oversight of existing farm leases, acquisition of new properties / prospective farmers, program promotion and grant writing.
Other responsibilities include: managing agricultural easement donations, monitoring existing agricultural easements and working with landowners to implement agricultural BMPs and other on-farm conservation efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental policy/science, natural resource management, Agronomy or a closely related field
- Two years’ experience, preferably with a land trust, soil and water conservation district or similar conservation organization
- Knowledge of sustainable agriculture production methods and best management practices
- Must be able to effectively manage multiple projects at the same time
- A dedicated team player with a sense of humor and a commitment to protecting Ohio’s agricultural and natural heritage who also works well independently
- Available to work before and after normal business hours and on the weekends, as necessary
- Experience with program outreach and development
- Experience with grant writing and management
- Experience initiating and managing real estate transactions
- Experience with USDA Organic Certification, Permaculture, etc.
- Familiarity with ArcGIS, GPS and field mapping techniques
- Experience with conservation easement monitoring
More than anything, Black Swamp Conservancy is looking for …
a highly-motivated, creative, organized and detail-oriented self-starter with a passion to serve our land conservation mission and a desire to lead an innovative program that will create a new model of farmland preservation in the Great Lakes Region.
The ideal candidate must have strong diplomatic skills and the ability to work with diverse stakeholders to achieve common goals.
Black Swamp Conservancy’s office is dog-friendly and located on a protected property south of Perrysburg, Ohio, surrounded by woodlands and prairie. The Conservancy offers a competitive compensation package including health insurance and retirement match. Salary commensurate with experience.