Join the Conservancy as Farmland Preservation Associate
Job Title: Farmland Preservation Associate
Black Swamp Conservancy is an accredited land trust serving northwest Ohio and the Western Lake Erie Basin. The Conservancy is seeking to hire a Farmland Preservation Associate to join a staff of six in protecting the region’s natural communities and family farms.
Black Swamp Conservancy currently protects more than 140 properties covering more than 17,300 acres and representing some of our region’s finest family farms, wetlands,woodlands and other open spaces. We have many active projects in process including large-scale stream and wetland restoration projects. For more information, please visit www.blackswamp.org.
Reporting to the Executive Director and in collaboration with the entire Conservancy team and its community partners, the Farmland Preservation Associate (Associate) joins Black Swamp Conservancy’s land protection and stewardship team. The Associate will primarily be responsible for managing the Conservancy’s new Food & Farm Initiative, which seeks to provide affordable land access to new and beginning farmers who are committed to sustainable farming. Other responsibilities include: managing agricultural easement donations, monitoring existing agricultural easements and working with landowners to implement agricultural BMPs and other on-farm conservation efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental policy/science,natural resource management, Agronomy or a closely related field.
- At least two years’ experience, preferably with a land trust, soil and water conservation district or similar conservation organization.
- Knowledge of sustainable agriculture production methods and best management practices.
- Must be able to effectively manage multiple projects at the same time.
- A dedicated team player with a sense of humor and a commitment to protecting Ohio’s agricultural and natural heritage who also works well independently.
- Available to work before and after normal business hours and on the weekends, as necessary.
- Experience with USDA Organic Certification, Permaculture, etc.
- Experience initiating and managing real estate transactions.
- Proficiency in ArcGIS, GPS and field mapping techniques.
- Grant writing and management
- Program outreach and development
- Experience with conservation easement monitoring.
More than anything, Black SwampConservancy is looking for …
A highly-motivated, creative, organized and detail oriented self-starter with a passion to serve our land conservation mission, and a desire to lead an innovative program that will create a new model of farmland preservation in the Great Lakes Region. The Associate must have strong diplomatic skills and the ability to work with diverse stakeholders to achieve common goals.
Compensation: Black Swamp Conservancy’s office is dog-friendly and located on a protected property south of Perrysburg, Ohio, surrounded by woodlands and prairie. The Conservancy offers a competitive compensation package including health insurance and retirement match. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please respond by submitting a resume, cover letter with salary requirements and writing sample, in Word or PDF format by January 14th to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.